To avoid giving children sugary sweets or potato chips, many parents resort to the timeless classic: popcorn. As harmless as popcorn seems, this mother learned firsthand how dangerous popcorn can be for small children. If you have kids at home, make sure to keep reading because this information could save your little one's life.
Popcorn And Movies
Popcorn is not only a delicious way to enjoy a movie, but it also has plenty of fiber in it, which is why many parents choose to give their little ones popcorn. Nicole and Jake Goddard from Colorado sat down one night with their children to watch Robin William's hilarious movie, Mrs. Doubtfire. And, of course, a movie night with the family isn't complete without munching on the buttery goodness that is popcorn.
While their youngest child, Nash, was enjoying the popcorn, he began to cough suddenly. Just before Jake was going to get up to give the young boy the Heimlich maneuver, he stopped coughing and began to breathe normally again. Jake and Nicole assumed that Nash had swallowed the kernel that he was choking on, but they could not have been more wrong.
In her Facebook post, Nicole explained that once Nash stopped coughing, he immediately started watching the movie again. “He seemed completely fine and continued to watch the movie. The only thing we observed was a cough he developed after the episode,” she wrote. The family had been battling a cold, so Nicole just assumed that Nash was coming down with something, as well.
Fever and Labored Breathing
After the movie, Nash went to bed as normal, but the next morning he didn't seem to be feeling well. “Monday came and [in the evening] I noticed Nash felt warm and he was super fussy. He had a fever so I gave him Motrin and put him to bed.” Nicole then laid down next to her son, but she noticed that his breathing was "labored," so she immediately called Nash's pediatrician.
Studio 7042 / Pexels
Rush To ER
When she explained what was going on to the pediatrician, Nicole was instructed to bring Nash to the hospital "ASAP." While they were at the hospital, doctors performed an x-ray and a bronchoscopy. When the doctors examined the x-rays, they found something that shocked Nicole and Jake.